Yoga Fresh!

Before I found out I was pregnant I had quite an eventful two months. Working on a neurosurgery unit requires me to do a lot of lifting. I take care of a lot of patients who have had back surgeries, strokes, or brain surgeries - which are very debilitating. Well in December of last year I was injured at work during a freak accident in which a patient fell on me, and his frustrated wife ended up pushing me. I twisted my lower back and ended up (at the time) having a very bad back sprain. I was off work for 6 weeks on workman's comp - and had Physical Therapy three times a week the entire time. I was on a NSAID's or anti-inflammatory drugs (like Ibuprofen and Celebrex) and also Vicodin. This was all working fine, combined with heat packs at night to alleviate the pain. The week before I was cleared to go back to work was the week that I found out I was pregnant. For the following 2 months I really had no problems with back pain. WELL, to make a long story short - with the added pressure of my growing baby my back pain is BACK. I have seen a chiropractor twice now, and it turns out that when I was injured I actually injured a joint in my lower spine called the "facet joint". Adjustments help, but I can tell a chiropractor would be a weekly visit which will put a weekly dent in the checkbook. I don't want to buy into that addiction.

So here is why I am telling you all of this, I want to take up a prenatal Yoga class. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Yoga (prenatal or not) and have heard that it helps alleviate back pain during pregnancy. Plus there are great techniques to get me ready and relaxed for the big delivery date. For all of you Yoga ladies out there I am just asking for an opinion - worth the money/time?! My other question is should I just jump into a class somewhere or should I watch some DVD's first to figure out some basic poses? I'm excited about trying it but know absolutely nothing about it and don't want to look like an idiot when I get to one of these classes.....


On a side note: 4 DAYS!!!! :) Also - last night at work, I started feeling movements that were unmistakably the baby! They are still not "kicks", but oh so wonderful. I was starting to get sad because I haven't felt much since the last time I posted about it! But they are back, and I'm thinking will only be getting stronger from here on out :) I'm 16 weeks on Wednesday, so 4 months along! Only 5 months to go!!! Wow! Pretty soon we will have a 5 year old running around.


Blissfully yours, 

Jamie
XoXo




So I went ahead and enrolled in a prenatal class at this place in Woodbury called Yoga Fresh.  It seems like a great deal, its only 15$/class and you just pay per class :) I don't know how many I will do, but for now I don't want to enroll in any memberships. I'll dabble with it and if I like it, I'll go crazy with becoming an actual member! P.S... Clinty my birthday is coming up.... hint hint ;) 



Comments

Popular Posts