Sweet Chipotle Chicken Stacks

It's that time of year again. When a cool breeze comes and whisks summer on its way south and leaves us Minnesotans with a beautiful scenery of changing leaves, pumpkin {everything}, and a peak in harvest of different fruits and vegetables. Late July through September brings the peak in tomato harvest. If your lucky, you have resourceful family members who are smart (and patient) enough to grow their own tomato plants. This past week both my Grandpa and Clint's Mom gave us a couple pounds of heirloom tomatoes. I have, without complaint, made dinner after dinner filled with these deliciously juicy "matoes" (as Emma calls them). Garlic roasted with some seasonal veggies, wedged into a delicious Noodles and Company copy cat recipe for a Pasta Fresca, sliced on burgers. You name it. Today I wanted to try something different: Salsa.

So, I went to the best resource out there, my friend Google, and did a little browsing. Finally I came across this recipe that not only got me a delicious salsa, but a marinade for a yummy grilled chicken.

Sweet Chipotle Chicken Stacks

I'll do a little recap here. But first let me tell you, it was d e l i c i o u s. A fresh tasting dish, with a perfect combination of spicy and sweet.

Ingredients


  • 2 1/2 pound(s) assorted heirloom tomatoes, cored and sliced
  • 1/4 cup(s) packed fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon(s) chopped chipotle chiles in adobo
  • 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoon(s) honey
  • 1 clove(s) garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
  • 1 1/4 pound(s) thin chicken cutlets
  • 1 large avocado, very thinly sliced


  • Combine 1/2 of the tomatoes, cilantro, chipotle chiles, lime juice, honey, garlic, and cumin into food processor or blender. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth. I prefer my salsa a little more chunky, so I didn't go for more than 10 seconds in my blender. You have a little bit more control with a food processor. After smooth, transfer 1/4 cup of salsa into a large bowl. Chill remaining salsa to serve with tortilla chips. 

    Toss chicken cutlets in the salsa for coverage to marinate.I let mine sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to marinade longer. Grill chicken until 165 degrees F.

    Top with a slice of tomato and a few slices of avocado and drizzle some of the remaining salsa on top. Enjoy!

    ** Served with an easy-peasy homemade Spanish Rice.  







    Comments

    Popular Posts