Clean Eatin' Turkey Taco's

For years I have indulged in the horror that is packaged taco seasoning. I'm just kidding. Well, kind of. Pre-packaged seasonings and condiments are kinda jam packed with extra sodium and preservatives to make them last a million years on our shelves. One day it hit me, I don't need these packets to last a million years. I'm not stocking up for the zombie apocalypse. And then the control freak in me was like: "Hey, you can make it yourself and probably better!" And I did.

A quick "Clean Taco Seasoning" Google search did it for me. 

For the last year or so this is the ONLY way we eat tacos around our house. I have tested it on family members who swore they would know they were eating Turkey vs Beef and all preferred the Turkey! (Insert proud smile here) 
Here it is, folks. Enjoy!! 

Taco Seasoning

1/2 Cup Chili Powder
1 1/2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
2 Tbs. Ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 1/2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
2 Tsp. Ground Oregano

Mix well - Will make about 3/4 a cup of seasoning mix - Good for 3 pounds of Turkey (1/4 cup per LB)






Turkey Tacos

1 Tbs. Olive Oil 
1 Medium Onion, Diced
1 Lb Ground Turkey - TRUST ME, PEOPLE! 
1/4 Cup Taco Seasoning (recipe above)
6 Oz Tomato Paste
3 Oz Water
Shells/Tortilla
Toppings: Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, Sour Cream, Cilantro, Etc. 

Heat a large skillet or Dutch Oven (my personal fav) over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat until simmering. Add in onion and saute until softened, or about 10 minutes. 

Add ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease (you will notice there is LITTLE TO NO grease) 

Stir in 1/4 cup of seasoning and cook for 1 minute. 

Add in tomato paste and water and cook for an additional 5 minutes. 

I like to taste the meat here and if it seems bland, add a little more seasoning. 1/4 a Cup per pound usually covers it for us, though. 

Put meat into taco shell or tortilla and add desired toppings. 

Chow down! 





Source: abigmouthful.com 

Comments

Popular Posts