34 weeks

Well here we are at 34 weeks - a much safer place than 31-32 weeks (where I was at when this all started). I had my appointment with my midwife, Sheila, this morning and things went well. From the report that she got from MN Perinatal Physicians, she said that everything looks good. The only thing she was worried about was my fluid levels (amniotic fluid). She said that it was reading a little on the low side - which for right now she isn't extremely worried but she wants to keep an eye on it. She checked my cervix and we are now 70% effaced (thinned out), what she would call a "fingertip" dilated (.5 cm), and baby is at a +1/+2 station. So things have slowly changed since last week as far as that goes. Considering all I have been doing is laying down, you can imagine how much things would progress if I was resuming normal activity at this point. The "station" of the baby is the biggest concern right now. I don't know how to describe it any better than a picture can, so that is what I'll use. 
The horizontal lines going across the pelvis measure the "station". Most of the time, at my point in pregnancy a baby is at a -2 or -3 station. Emma is at a +2, meaning she is engaged and not going anywhere but out at this point. You can imagine the pressure I feel from this. Makes walking quite a task. I realize these posts are probably TMI for most people, but it's helping me keep it all straight.

At this point, Sheila said she is confident this baby wont make it to 40 weeks. My body is taking the steps it normally does at 40 weeks - just 6 weeks early. This can only go on slowly for so long before I am kicked into full fledge labor, which cannot be slowed down. My goal at this point is to make it to 36-37 weeks so I can at least remain under the care of a midwife. Anything earlier than that, an OB doc would take over my care. Also at 37 weeks, Emma would be considered term and be fine to stay with me in our hospital room and go home with us. Anything earlier than that she would have to spend some time in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit), which is no fun for anybody. The plan from here is to continue bed rest for the next week, still able to get up for short periods of time. Next week on Wednesday I see Sheila again and she will do an ultrasound in the clinic to check my fluid levels (which will continue every week until Emma is here). Otherwise it's just a waiting game. It's anybodies guess as to when this little girl is going to make her grand entrance! 

My big outing for the week is my last baby shower with Clint's side of the family on Sunday! I am so looking forward to it. I will be transporting myself from one couch to the next, but the company will be great :) 

Comments

Popular Posts