36 measuring 32.

Ever since my stay in Labor in Delivery I have said every week something along the lines of "just one more week". Every extra day, let alone week, that we can keep Emma in there helps her to be a healthier and easier baby. For me, it has made the process of waiting go by faster as well. When you're looking at something as "just one more week" away all the time it makes 8 weeks turn into 4 awfully fast. So here we are, less than 30 days until the due date. 4 weeks away. I never thought I would be this close to meeting our little girl. I have been convinced (and told by a few midwives) that Emma is coming early, but I am starting to think she will NEVER come. It seems like every day there is a sign that things are close..... and then it goes away. Wether it be contractions or other not so pleasant signs of labor. I have changed my outlook from thinking that she could come at any second and me walking around the block will make her fall out to thinking - she will never come. That way, when she decides to make her big debut it will be one big surprise, right? 

As if she couldn't have timed it more perfectly, our midwife is on vacation now for the next two weeks. For all of you movie goers out there - remind you of anything?? Knocked Up..... Well, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Most likely (wether Sheila is here or on vacation) she won't be the one delivering Emma anyways. The way it works at Regions Hospital is if you have chosen midwifery as your primary care, whatever midwife is working when you go into labor would deliver your baby. I have met the other midwives and like them all so I'm not too worried about it. So, today at my 36 week checkup I saw Dr. Barom, an OBGYN doc. He said everything looked about the same, which is good except she is still measuring small (according to my fundal height). She is still at 32 and should be closer to 36. They want me to have another ultrasound tomorrow to do another measurement of her growth - so tomorrow we will be able to see if she has  gained any weight since the last ultrasound on the 16th (which she should have gained a 1/2 pound per week so she should be closer to 6 pounds). We will see! 

I found out this week that workman's comp FINALLY accepted to cover my wages for the 3 weeks while I was on bed rest and the medical costs of my hospital stay in labor and delivery and for all of the extra testing that will not be covered by my insurance -- HUGE relief. However, they will not cover my wages for the remainder of my leave, because I physically can go back at this point with restrictions. Regardless, I have  decided to take a personal medical leave from work for the remainder of my pregnancy. I will also take a separate maternity leave after she is born. Although I could go back to work with restrictions, the work I would be doing would still be hard on my body and it would be difficult to explain to every person I work with why I can't do certain things (lift more than 15 pounds, etc.) -- Especially for a maximum of 4 weeks of work/pay. Not worth it to me, and my employer is willing to keep my job for me when I return so it was a no brainer. We have made prior financial arrangements (savings, PTO, grant money) to keep us comfortable through this time with my lack of income. In the past month of waiting for workman's comp, however, Clint has really carried the two (three) of us. I feel so extremely lucky to have been blessed with him in my life. He has enriched it beyond belief and taken care of me now during a very stressful time for the both of us. He has really made me realize what a partnership is all about. Thank you, baby! I am so excited to be able to complete our family with the birth of our sweet little Emma :)

Someday Emma ~ when you are reading this - remember what I am saying about your Dad! You are a lucky girl to be able to call him Daddy and to know that you will always have his wing to hold on to. 

This week marks the one year anniversary of Clint's grandpa's death. I fell in love with his grandfather, Bill, soon after I met him. I could see immediately where Clint got his wisdom, work ethic, and compassion from. It's been a crazy year and he has been missed so much. In January, when we first found out we were having a baby in September, our first thought was that Bill had something to do with it. He was a sucker for kids, and one to seize any opportunity to teach a good lesson. Clint thinks Gramps might have sent him a baby girl to test his patience ;) Well, this week we celebrate the life of Bill and remember the good times we were lucky enough to have with him. We are spending Labor Day weekend with the Knutsen's to do so appropriately! 

Hope everyone enjoys the bookend to summer, and the kickoff to the month that will forever change Clint and I's life - for the better! "Just one more week" and we will be ready! ;) 

Comments

Popular Posts